I can’t believe it has taken me this long to review this place! It is easily my favourite spot in Edinburgh and S and I keep going back, even against my usual opinion that you should always be trying out new restaurants.
I’m not sure where to begin; food is usually a good place. Wow. Amazingly comforting, fragrant, sizeable portions. The food is so fantastically fresh that you just need a few key herbs and spices and you have a perfect dish. Unfortunately the menu doesn’t change, so I’ve already eaten everything at least twice – but luckily no dish disappoints. A typical trip will read a bit like this:
- Vietnamese fresh shrimp spring rolls with a peanut dipping sauce
- Bowl of hearty chicken noodle soup
- Braised catfish with ginger and mushroom
- Braised pork in caramel sauce
- A big bowl of steaming, sticky white rice
- Plenty of coriander and chilli liberally sprinkled throughout!
The BYOB policy is definitely a big bonus, and with seriously reasonable food prices you’re looking at a great deal.
This place is TINY, only about 5 tables, so pre-booking is essential (and tricky). The owner also doubles up as the only waitress but she is exceptionally capable, chatty and helpful. I can’t recommend this place highly enough – but if you’re planning a visit, please don’t take the last table!